Keeping Cool Without Air Conditioning

I live in an old house, and it doesn't have central air conditioning. That's not to say that I'm completely without air conditioning - my workplace has AC. I also have ceiling fans in just about every room in my house. My frontroom has a portable AC, and I do have a window-mount AC for the bedroom. Luckily, Chicago is experiencing a lull in the hot summer weather (in fact, as I type this, it's 57 degrees - more like October than the beginning of July, but I'm not complaining). Over the past few weeks, though, the weather has been, well, capricious at best: we have had some nasty, hot, humid weather.

Here's how I deal with hot, humid,weather without the benefit of central AC in my house:

  • Keep Hydrated: In hot weather, it is absolutely essential to keep hydrated, and I don't mean with coffee, iced tea, soda, beer or other alcohol. Drinks with caffeine and high amounts of sweetners can be great in the beginning, but your body will need additional water to process out those additives. (Believe me, I'm no health nut. I love all of those beverages.) Just try to incorporate more plain water into your daily activities - it will benefit you in the long run, regardless of the temperature.
  • Wear Light Colors and Natural Fabrics: Cotton is great in both warm and cool weather. It is a breathable fabric, which is great for air circulation. Darker colors will absorb heat, making you feel hotter, while lighter colored fabrics help to reflect heat (especially white).
  • Fans Help: Getting the air circulating will help you feel cooler. Ceiling fans are great. Window fans work, too. Even if you have AC, fans can help cut your energy costs by allowing you to dial down the temperature on your AC, and still keep cool.
  • Bathe Often: Once, my doctor told me that many of her clients, from warmer climates, will bathe up to five times per day to keep feeling fresh. If I feel overheated, I'll go and wash my face, making sure I place some cold water on the back of my neck and my inner wrists. I'll feel instantly refreshed. In the summer, I have the habit of showering every night. It's lovely to feel so refreshed before bed. Plus, your wet hair is a bit of a 'heat sink' meaning that while your hair dries, it can help you feel cooler (overall).
  • Darken Your Room: Light = heat. If you can darken your room, this can help to significantly reduce the temperature in your room. You don't need to buy fancy curtains - you can clip flat bedsheets if you need to - that will work. One of my favorite memories is of my Mom clipping these older bedsheets, that were in this wild floral pattern (totally from the 1970s), but were in soothing shades of blue and green, across the windows. Cooled the room off quickly, without a fan, or AC.
There you have it! Some of my favorite ways to beat the summer heat without the benefit of air conditioning. In fact, as I've been typing this, I've been enjoying the breeze from the stand fan in my front room, as it starts to dry my hair. I've also been sipping a glass of water. (I didn't need to do any of that, really - like I said at the start of this posting, it's 57 degrees right now - but habit, you know.)


Comments

Popular Posts