Stephie's Faves: My Favorite Face Washes

We all have those items that we buy repeatedly - one such item is a facial wash. Some might think that it's OK to use the same bar of soap all over your body, including your face. While I'm not one to tell people how to live their lives, or what products they should buy, I have to say that I hear this frequently enough from people, and I always reply in the same way:

Ew. No. Please don't do that.

Why? Here's why (in my opinion): Many bar soaps/body washes/shower gels (whatever you use) have some harsh ingredients in them. Think about when, and how you use them. You want that lush lather, so there's (usually) heavier amounts of EVERYTHING in a body wash: Fragrance. Triclosan. Deodorants. Colorants. Sulfates (all that lather). Not a good idea to put all of that on your face (again - in my opinion.) Plus, the skin on your face has different needs than the skin on your body. Where else can you be oily in some areas, while dry and flaky in others?

Here are a few of my favorite face washes, as well as a brief description of why I like them (in no particular order):
Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash: Soap free. Suitable for all skin types. Will remove makeup, too - but you might still need a separate eye makeup remover. Surprisingly gentle on the eyes, too! It's just a good, basic, face wash. I remember reading that this face wash is the same formula as the 'Johnson's Baby Head to Toe Wash', by Johnson & Johnson', at a fraction of the price. I'm not sure about that - but you'll find both of them (the 'Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash' and the 'Johnson's Baby Head to Toe Wash)' available for sale at most mass retailers. As a side note, I decided to try the 'Purpose Gentle Cleansing Wash' as a body wash - I'm pleased to report that it worked rather well. Good cleansing - left me feeling clean, without that tight, dry, itchy skin that comes from many shower gels. Maybe there is some truth to that rumor after all...







Clinique Liquid Facial Soap: Clinique divides their facial care products into specific items for specific skin types/concerns/needs. It's another good, basic, cleanser - but with one difference: it is, technically, a soap-based item. Unlike most 'soap' cleansers, though, this is designed to work with your skin-type (based on your selection, of course). This is only available for sale through Clinique counters, and online at Clinique.com

(Many who have tried both this and the Purpose cleanser, usually remark on their similarities - but the Purpose is easier to find and less expensive than the Clinique cleanser. Wait until your local Clinique counter is having a 'gift with purchase' promotion then get 2 bottles of the stuff. At least, that's what I do...)



 Olay Daily Facials Cloths  are designed to be a '4 in 1' option - cleansing similarly to a cleanser, toner, scrub and masque.  Now, I don't know if it would actually replace all those things, but they are effective. Plus, they come in differing formulas to suit your specific skin type. I like these for when I'm travelling, or my desk at work. (Sometimes, you just want to wash your face.) These are two sided, dry, cloths - the smooth side is good for lathering all over your face, and the textured side is great for exfoliation. When you're done, you can toss out the cloth. 






There are other facial washes that I've tried - this isn't an exhaustive list. These three are the facial washes that I use time and time again. I do enjoy trying new products whenever I can, though.

Got a facial wash you're interested in, and would like me to review it? Let me know!





Comments

Popular Posts