REVIEW: Hope in a Jar for the Body Advanced Skin Smoothing Body Lotion by Philosophy

I'll be the first to admit that I have some *ahem* hoarding tendencies - I have to be compelled to get rid of things. (Especially anything in the bath/body/beauty realm) Of course, if something has dramatically changed (color/texture is off, the liquids separated, your lipstick smells like a crayon - that sort of thing), you should get rid of that item. Usually, my friends/family/coworkers benefit from my clearing out of my stash - and, in conjunction with that, I am making a concerted effort to use up some of my goodies. I can think of no better way to review some items, than to try them out and weed through my stash at the same time! A win-win situation if there ever was one!

Today's item up for review is a body lotion: 'Hope in a Jar for the Body' by philosophy:

More like 'Hope to Find Out Why This Smells So Bad'! 
Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a fan of this brand. There are some items I like (their 3-in-1 shampoo/shower gel/bubble baths are DIVINE) and even a few that I love (I love their micro-exfoliating face wash). Overall, though, I wouldn't say I'm a 'philosophy Girl' (the sexist name for those who are fans of the brand - because guys can't use skin care - amirite?) Secondly, I'm not a fan of body lotions (in general) - if I'm going to use something, I prefer the thickness of a body cream. In my mind, lotion = runny, gloppy, mess. By the same token, in my mind,  cream = thick and luxurious. (Just my own bias - you do you, Boo. <3)

This lotion is different, though - this has the thick consistency of a body cream, but in a pump bottle. Best of both words, I tell you - thick and luxurious, but I don't have to dig my fingers into a pot? NICE.

The lotion spread evenly, and was absorbed quickly into my skin. I applied this to my arms before I got dressed, and a funny thing has happened: I haven't been itchy at all. (My arms usually itch so much that I will scratch them to bleeding - if I'm not careful.)My skin feels soft and moisturized, without any nasty residue. So far, I am quite impressed with this...except for one thing:

THE SMELL.

This lotion (or at least my bottle of it) SMELLS TERRIBLE.

If you read the reviews for this item at QVC.com, I'm not alone in complaining about the smell - but I have a different complaint. Lavender oil is listed as one of the ingredients in this - and I LOVE LAVENDER. To me, this doesn't like lavender AT ALL. To me, it smells like chemicals - and that's the main problem I have with much of the skin care (not the fragrances, not the body washes - just the skin care) from philosophy. It all has this underlying chemical odor that I don't particularly like. The chemical smell is not a deal-breaker for me, but I will say that because of it, philosophy is not a skin-care brand that I gravitate toward.

Not sure if I'll be finishing the bottle on this, or passing it along to someone. I'll keep you posted.

UPDATE: I tried this only on my arms when I wrote this review. Today, (the day after my initial review), I decided to slather it (liberally) all over myself. For the first time in a LONG time, I don't feel like scratching my arms until they bleed. I haven't (really) scratched my arms at all today. My skin feels soft and smooth. Yes, I still think it smells like chemicals, but I really don't smell the lotion after I apply it to my skin. So, while I don't think I'll be repurchasing this particular item, I don't think I'll be passing it along to anyone else.

Comments

Popular Posts