REVIEW: Dial Clean & Refresh Antibacterial Body Wash, Lavender & Twilight Jasmine (and Thoughts on TRICLOSAN)

I'm probably going to be writing about shower gel/body wash for the next few postings - if you've got a body wash you'd like to know more about, let me know. Heck - if there's ANY bath/body/beauty/cosmetic/makeup/fragrance product you'd like to know more about, let me know.

Everybody has a *thing* - something they love, and really have no clue why they love it so much. (Or maybe they do know *shrug*.) My *thing* is shower gel. I love the stuff. Not a fan of bar soap, but I will use it, if that's the only thing available - but I love shower gel.

Today, I'm reviewing the latest bottle I've pulled from my stash to try: Lavender & Twilight Jasmine Clean and Refresh Antibacterial Body Wash.
Pretty! Smells nice, too!

 Dial is a trusted brand that has been around for AGES: 
I have this same ad on display in my bathroom!
Truth be told, I can't fathom the idea of using a deodorant soap on my face, but back in the day, that was (somewhat) recommended, because of the antibacterial properties of the soap. The thought was that if you had acne, then the same ingredient that killed the bacteria that causes body odor would also kill acne causing bacteria, too. I'm not sure if I agree with this line of logic - differing strains of bacteria and all - but I can see the logic in it. This also brings up something that gives me some (slight) pause: TRICLOSAN.

I'm not a Social Justice Warrior. I eat meat. I wear leather. I eat conventional (not necessarily 'organic') produce. Many of the items I write about on this blog have been tested on animals, and some brands that I use may still be actively testing on animals. (That does give me pause, but that's a topic for another post.) Triclosan is an antibacterial chemical additive in many consumer products, and in some circles, and it can be considered slightly controversial. (Specifically, causing bacteria to become stronger and more resistant to antibiotics, among other things.) Additionally, research has suggested that Triclosan doesn't offer any significant antibacterial properties above using regular soap and water. Plus, on a level of pure vanity, I find that items that contain Triclosan tends to make my skin feel dry with continued use. Now, this body wash has a low concentration of Triclosan: .15% for the entire bottle, but you have to consider it in terms of all the things you use in a day: hand wash? tooth paste? The percentages add up.

So - here's a rundown of my non-Triclosan related thoughts on this body wash:
  1. I don't think this smells like lavender. Jasmine? Maybe. More like 'generic, clean, soapy, floral'. It's lavender colored, though. (see pic above)
  2. The clean, fresh, floral fragrance did last on my skin after the shower. Smelled nice, too.
  3. It lathered VERY well, and the suds lasted through my entire shower.
  4. Surprisingly enough, I didn't get itchy skin after using this, nor did I *need* a body cream.
  5. I usually take a shower at night, before bed. I've still felt fresh all day.
There are other fragrances in this line, and, knowing me, I'll probably try them. If you can find it, the Pura Fruta body wash in Guava and Watermelon is just DIVINE. This is sold at most mass retailers, and the prices can vary (generally) from $2.98 - $6.99.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts