REVIEW: Clarisonic Plus Cleansing Brush for Face and Body

I debated for quite some time as to whether or not I would post this review - because I was so disheartened as to what happened with my Clarisonic. If you read on, you'll see what I mean by 'disheartened'.

I remember when I got my Clarisonic Plus. I wanted one for SO LONG - and I don't know when I had changed my mind about this item. Before, I thought that a good scrub with a wet washcloth would be better (and much cheaper) than paying $200+ for something to wash my face. Exfoliation is VERY important to having good skin - seriously. No one likes, or wants flaky skin, plus regular exfoliation will help your skin look fresher (less tired), and help your skin care better benefit your skin.

But then it happened: QVC offered a Clarisonic Plus set on a 'Today's Special Value' - so the payment was split up over a number of months, interest free. My husband asked if I wanted that as my birthday gift, and I readily agreed. It was a nice set!
This was the EXACT set I ordered from QVC.com - I fell in love with the green, vine pattern. Haven't seen it since...
It came with the 'Deep Pore Cleansing' brush head (blue ring), the 'Sensitive Skin Cleansing' brush head (black ring) and the 'Body Cleansing' brush head (Largest). The skin care from Philosophy was a nice treat: Orange Pineapple Smoothie  3 in 1 Bubble Bath, Shower Gel and Shampoo was lovely, and while I don't particularly like Purity Made Simple cleanser, I know there are some who swear by it. That thing in the back will allow you to pop your machine into the holder, and scrub your back. I remember it was difficult to use, because once your Clarisonic was in there, it was in there but good. I frequently worried that I was going to break the holder, but no - it was quite sturdy.

One of the most confusing things about the Clarisonic was the 'cycle' you were supposed to choose. This is the copy at QVC.com about the cleansing cycles:

Why is it different: With varying levels of sonic speed, you can customize your Clarisonic PLUS cleansing experience to address your specific skin needs. Speed 1 (Delicate) is the lowest setting for a more gentle cleanse. Speed 2 (Universal) is developed for daily use on all skin types and cleanses six times better than cleansing with hands alone. When an extra boost is needed to help loosen set-in debris, speed 3 (Powerful) provides the power to enhance cleansing.

When the body brush head is attached, the Clarisonic PLUS handle automatically switches to the Body Mode, with a three-minute cycle. Press the speed button while in body mode to toggle between constant and pulse settings. The pulse setting is great for the head/neck area and provides a different sensation than the constant setting.

Additionally, in the manual, there were 'routes' that you were supposed to use to adequately clean your face in the time allotted by the cycle you selected. If you didn't follow those directions, your machine would just stop at the end of the cycle, whether you were done or not. Dude - I just want to wash my face, and I want to do it MY WAY. I know that I don't have to follow those directions, but when the machine cuts out in the middle of my cleansing process...MEH.

Now that's all mild annoyance - but here's what really lost me: I was able to use it for around a year before it stopped working. The battery stopped accepting a charge. The item was out of warranty. I paid $225 for a facial brush that I was only able to use for a YEAR. I understand that 'nothing lasts forever' - but only a YEAR?! For the amount of money I paid for this damn brush, I would have expected it to last longer, AND have a better warranty.

But don't just take it from me - read the reviews on this item at QVC.com - they're just as abysmal. 

When you choose to invest in your skin by purchasing a high-end, sonic, cleansing brush, you expect it to last. I have to wonder what Clarisonic changed (and why).  My sister-in-law has a 'first generation' Clarisonic Plus, and she's had it for a number of years. When I told her about what happened with my Clarisonic Plus, she was astonished, because she's had her unit for 5+ years, if not longer, and it runs wonderfully. She said it was a 'wonderful investment', and she has lovely skin.

*sigh*

Comments

Popular Posts