Planning A Cruise Vacation #4: Airline/Amtrak/Bus Luggage Policies and Packing. What Clothing Should I Pack for My Cruise?

I am the Queen of Overpacking. Seriously.


I picked up a great piece of advice somewhere: when packing for a vacation, take half as much clothing and twice as much cash as you THINK you need. I should heed my own advice, but it's so difficult (for me, anyway).

When it comes to packing, there are a few things to consider:

  • How are you getting to the cruise-port? If you're flying, check into the policies of your airline. Most will allow you (1) carry-on bag, and (1) 'personal item', at no additional charge. The 'carry-on' bag is usually the smallest, or medium sized case in a suite of luggage. 
  • Source: cnn.money.com
  • Some airlines, like Spirit, don't even allow that - just you, and (1) 'personal item'. 
  • So, what is a 'personal item'? A smaller, carry on bag, that's designed to fit under the seat of the person in front of you. An example: Small tote bag, backpack or laptop case. Here's how Spirit Airlines describes their baggage policy:
from https://www.spirit.com/OptionalServices.aspx





  • Depending on your airline, if you decide to check a bag (and you may have to, depending on how big your bag is, and how much it weighs), airlines can charge anywhere from $25 - $100 PER BAG in addition to your airfare. Bringing multiple bags can get mighty expensive, mighty quick. Keep this in mind if you're flying to your cruise-port.
  • Driving? Lucky you. Bring whatever you'd like, however much you'd like. Keep in mind, though, that you'll have to schlep all that stuff around.
  • Taking the bus? Check with your carrier.
  • Amtrak? You can bring (2) carry-ons, and up to 4 additional bags. (2 checked for free, 2 checked at a charge of $20 each.) See their policy  HERE.
  • Something else to consider (and it bears repeating): I know you're on vacation, and I know you probably don't want to deal with this, but you could always take fewer clothes and do some laundry while on your cruise. If you don't want to be bothered, cruise lines offer 'wash & fold' services - stuff a bag full of dirty clothes, and the next day, you'll get your bag back, full of clean, freshly laundered, clothes. Or, use the laundry facilities on board and wash your own items yourself.

I would like to tell you what I packed for the last cruise I went on, but that would be unrealistic. Why? I'm a chronic over-packer to begin with, and the last cruise I was on lasted 11 days. The most simple, but comprehensive, cruise packing list that I've found is located  HERE, at CruiseTravelOutlet.com. This list assumes you're going on a 7 day cruise to a warm location - and you'll notice that there's no mention of what to pack for 'Cruise Elegant' or 'Cruise Formal' night. That'll be the topic of the next post.

Personally, I agree with this list, but feel free to adjust as necessary. As an example, I don't (really) wear shorts - but I packed (1) pair. I wore (1) pair of jeans (and a pair of sneakers) when I flew in to the cruise-port. The bulk of the clothing I packed was my collection of maxi-dresses.

Here's the list - remember, this is JUST BASIC CLOTHING - not miscellaneous items, and nothing for 'Cruise Formal' or 'Cruise Elegant'.

AND REMEMBER - YOU CAN ALWAYS TAKE FEWER ARTICLES OF CLOTHING, AND WASH THEM DURING YOUR CRUISE. (See - told you I'd repeat this.) 

Casual attire

  • 3-5 Bathing Suits
  • 1 pair of comfortable shoes to explore your destination
  • 1 pair of flip flops for the pool or beach
  • 1 pair of sneakers –if you plan to go on an excursion that requires them or you’ll be hitting 
up the gym.
  • 4 shorts
  • 7 casual shirts
  • 3 beach cover-ups
  • 3-7 pairs of socks (depending on how often you plan on wearing your sneakers)
  • 7-10 Pairs of underwear
  • 3 Bras (if applicable)
  • 3-7 Sports Bras (if applicable)
  • 1 sweatshirt/sweater – nights can be chilly on deck
  • 1 hat or visor
  • 1 disposable rain poncho – so you are prepared in the unfortunate case of a quick rain shower at port!






Comments

Popular Posts